During the Middle Ages, a watchtower was built on this site to survey the northern coastline.
In the 14th century, a tower called 'Puig Musart
' was built,
but was destroyed by Vauban
in 1679, and replaced by the current military fort.
Today, it is an army barracks for the National Centre of Commando Training in France, commonly known as the CNEC.
Since 1964, soldiers have trained here, doing various exercises such as individual and group obstacle courses, hurdles, placing explosives, hand-to-hand combat, navigation and anti-tank close combat.