"Le Château Royal
" is on the water's edge and is well-located in the middle of the town.
Its history, beauty and imposing appearance make it one of the highlights of Collioure,
and it was classed as a historic monument in 1922.
The first fortified settlement here was a Roman castrum
In order to make the most of your visit, come on one of our guided tours to learn more about the château.
There are frequent shows and exhibitions throughout the year, as well as numerous special events - in particular, the Cour de Noël (Christmas stalls in the château).
A bit of history...
The château is located atop a 30m-high rocky outcrop, which is now completely covered by the building.
It is located on the site of a former Iberian citadel - a fishing port dating from the 6th century BC.
A series of kings from different kingdoms lived in the château from the 12th century.
The Château Royal is a key part of the town's defences, with both the commercial port and stronghold located within the château walls.
The château was built in three main phases.
In the 13th century, the château was entirely rebuilt by the kings of Majorca to become their summer residence.
In the 14th century, the kings of Aragon reorganised the defences to make the château a military fortress.
In the 17th century, Vauban raised the outer wall, destroyed the village in the ramparts and constructed the glacis (artificial slope used to strengthen the walls).
In 1939, the château became a prison.
For more information on the château and upcoming events, go to the page on Château Royal de Collioure.